Saturday, December 31, 2011

Girl with a Gun: A Challenge from Regis Giles

{by REGIS GILES}

Described as a "loud mouth, young conservative focused on promoting self-defense and hunting," in the bio on her website titled, "Girls Just Wanna Have Guns", Regis Giles is passionate about protecting gun rights as well as encouraging women to take action to prepare themselves for "any threat they may encounter." She has been a featured speaker at CPAC, columnist for the NRA, and host of the new T.V. show, Primal Urge. And here is what Regis has to share with us at InsideOut Girl:


Being a self-defense and gun advocate did not randomly come to my mind as a lifetime pursuit.  As a child, age nine to be specific, I became active at the gun range and on the blue mats of the Valente Brothers Jiu-Jitsu academy.  My parents decided they wanted my sister and me to learn how to defend ourselves and operate a gun.  They understood that knowing these techniques were not only important for defending ourselves, but also in building our self-confidence and living a disciplined life style. 


Hunting eventually came along as well.  When I was thirteen I shot my first animal, a wild boar, with my granddad’s 30/30 Marlin.  I have never missed an opportunity to go hunt since then.  Being outdoors and active is one of my favorite things; however, place a gun in my hand and a hunting license too, then I am happier than a girl with a new pair of shoes.  The adventure, danger, and being in the wilderness, is what I love so much about hunting.  The outdoors are uncontrollable and learning how to handle what it throws at you and being able to adapt is another aspect of hunting I adore. 
Learning Jiu-Jitsu, how to shoot and hunt wasn’t easy. It was sometimes even uncomfortable; however, that didn’t prevent me from pursuing these skills.  Because I enjoyed doing each activity so much, I learned how to persevere through the hard times, which inevitably taught me the life lesson you must go through the bad to get the good. I have never stopped learning how to hunt, shoot and fight, and I don’t think I will ever stop.  Each field offers something new and different to discover every time.  I believe that is why I am so obsessed with them.
So, InsideOut Girl here is my challenge for you.  If you do not know how to protect your own life, go out and learn!  It is your life after all and learning how to protect it is what I like to call a “safe investment”.  Preferably, I would suggest learning how to shoot a gun, operate a knife and do Gracie Jiu-Jitsu (self-defense Jiu-Jitsu, not sport).  Learning each of these skills will make you a well rounded butt kicking individual, which would make any attacker sorry they picked on you. 
Lastly, go hunting.  Get yourself out of the mall and place yourself in God’s glorious playground.  You will learn the way the world operates away from society and if the zombie apocalypse really does happen, you have a head start on surviving it.

7 comments:

  1. wow, this is amazing and inspiring! You're story is so cool Regis, thanks for taking the time to share it - I'm a big fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great and enouraging post regis , thank you for sharing. Big fan of your dads book Raising Righteous and Rowdy Girls -that is how we found gracie jui jitsu :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regis Giles, you are one of my inspirations/heroes! I am STOKED to see you on InsideOut! Seriously cool. Will you be speaking at CPAC again this year? (I hope so!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoaaa. dude. this is legit.

    i have a question for regis, though. how much do you think your dad's political ideas influenced the forming of your own?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you wrote here, Regis. You are awesome; thanks fr the challenge! I for one will take it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rachel... I plan on being there. It is not confirmed yet if I will be speaking or not.

    @Anonymous... I believe the house you are raised in always has an influence on your beliefs; however, every human has the choice and capability to decide/believe what is right or wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this girl,s Attitude, a Credit to Her raising and family.

    ReplyDelete